For a starting point to the compositions of Jinwook Jung, he often looks to works or ideas from other fields of art, such as visual art, literature, and architecture. From his environment, in terms of both the traditional and the present, he is never content to merely "translate" idioms. Rather he ardently seeks ways to reflect on these issues as a means to bring an inspiring vitality to his own ideas in these works.
Born in 1994 in Seoul, South Korea, Jinwook Jung started learning piano and violin at the age of six. In 2006, he was accepted as a preliminary student at the Korean National University of Arts, where he studied composition and piano until 2011. He studied composition for his bachelor's degree at the University of the Arts Bremen with Jörg Birkenkötter, while at the same time working on electroacoustic compositions with Kilian Schwoon. He studied for a Masters in Composition at the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz with Beat Furrer and Franck Bedrossian and at the Paris Conservatory (CNSMDP) with Gérard Pesson. Jinwook is currently based in Brussels and doing his Konzertexamen in Cologne under the guidance of Brigitta Muntendorf since 2022. As composer he has collaborated with international groups and renowned performers, such as, among others the l'Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France, the SWR Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra, Klangforum Wien, ensemble Recherche, Intercontemporain, Ictus, Multilatérale, Schallfeld and Musikfabrik.
He has won numerous awards and scholarships, including the Deutschlandstipendium from the National Scholarship Foundation of Germany and one from the DAAD. Since 2015, he has been receiving a scholarship from the Oscar and Vera Ritter Foundation. In the same year he was awarded the prize of the Karlsruhe Composition Competition. In 2016 he was awarded the 1st prize of the Florence Composition Competition for string quartet and the 2nd prize of the International Gesualdo Composition Competition in Italy. His music has been recognised in a number of international music festivals, which includes »Festival de Royaumont«, »Archipel Genève«, »musikprotokoll«, »impuls«, »Daegu International Contemporary Music Festival« with Ensemble Schallfeld, »ilSUONO Contemporary Music Week«, »Newmusic Week Rome«, »martini elettrico Bologna«, »Time of Music«, »11.11. neue musik«, »ZeitGenuss Karlsruhe« and ZKM »next_generation«. Furthermore he was selected for the masterclass orchestral composition of the Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra SWR with his piece, for the young composer project with ensemble recherche and for the International Composition Masterclasses »Sound of Wander« of Chaya Czernowin and Simon Steen-Andersen in Milan. In 2018 he had been selected for the »Accademia Chigiana« by Salvatore Sciarrino in Siena, resulting in his piece being performed by Quartetto Prometeo and Matteo Cesari, and he was invited to the festival »ManiFeste« of IRCAM with his piece, which has been premiered by the Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France in Paris. He has received numerous commissions including »Création mondiale: France Musique« of Radio France, Brucknerhaus Linz, Stockholm Chamber Brass and the »Residència de Composició Rodamúsic 2021« and »Artistic residency NODUS 2022« in Spain. Among his upcoming creative projects, a commission from the Bozar for Ictus and a piece for the Gaudeamus Festival in the Netherlands, which will be performed by Slagwerk Den Haag.
Paris Conservatory CNSMDP, France
2016 - 2019
University of Music and Performing Arts Graz, Austria (Master of Music)
2012 - 2016
University of the Arts Bremen, Germany (Bachelor of Music)
2006 - 2011
Korean National University of Arts, Seoul, Korea (as a pre-student)
- 2nd prize winner of the Karol Szymanowski International Music Competition 2022 in Poland
- Received a commission from Ictus Ensemble in Belgium
- Lauréate of »l’Académie Voix Nouvelles 2022« at l’Abbaye de Royaumont in France
- Selected for a project with Stockholm Chamber Brass, the piece premiered in Sweden
- Invited with his piece »Urmeer« performed by TIMF Ensemble in Seoul, South Korea
- Winner of »Residència de Composició Musical Rodamúsic 2021« in Spain, artist in residence in Valencia
- Received a commission for »Here & Now. The Sound of the Present« by Brucknerhaus Linz, new solo piece for harpsichordist Mahan Esfahani
- Received a commission for »Création mondiale: France Musique« by Anne Montaron of Radio France
- Invited composer for »NEWMUSIC WEEK ROME«, his piece has been performed by mdi-ensemble
- Invited composer for »ilSUONO Contemporary Music Week« in Italy with his piece »Traumbesuch«
- Selected Composer for the »Festival Time of Music« and Masterclass of Kaija Saariaho in Viitasaari, Finnland
- Received a commission for »open music«. His piece »illuminé« for Klangforum Wien
- Received a commission for »open music«. A new chamber music piece for the musicians of Klangforum Wien
- Invited composer for »musikprotokoll« in Austria,
his piece »Bom?« has been premiered by ensemble airborne extended
- Invited to the festival »ManiFeste-2018« of IRCAM with his orchestral piece, which has been premiered by the Orchestere Philharmonique de Radio France and selected as an active participant for the orchestral composition masterclass with Franck Bedrossian in Paris
- Selected for the »Chigiana Festival« and the summer academy by Salvatore Sciarrino in Siena,
his piece has been premiered by Quartetto Prometeo and Matteo Cesari
- Received a composition commission for »Text im Klang« by Impuls, Association for the Communication of Contemporary Music Graz represented by Ute Pinter. »Urmeer« trio for saxophone, percussion and piano
- Invited composer for the »Festival Archipel Genève« in Schwitzland,
his piece »Traumbesuch« has been performed by Asasello Quartet as a Swiss première
- Selected for the »Sound of Wander« International Composition Masterclass of Simon Steen-Andersen in Milan.
- Selected for the »Sound of Wander« International Composition Masterclass of Chaya Czernowin in Milan.
- Selected composer for the Daegu International Contemporary Music Festival in South Korea with Ensemble Schallfeld.
- Selected composer for the spring project »Die Zukunft beginnt um 19.15 Uhr«
of ensemble recherche in Freiburg.
- 2nd prize winner of the International Gesualdo Composition Competition
- 1st prize winner of the Florence Composition Competition for string quartet
- Italian premier of his piece at the Festival »martini elettrico« in Bologna
- Participation in the Masterclass Orchestral Composition of the Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra (SWR) with his piece
- Prize Winner of the Karlsruhe Composition Competition.
- World premier of his piece at the electroacoustic music festival »next_generation 6.0« of ZKM in Karlsruhe.
- Scholarship of Oscar and Vera Ritter Foundation.
- World premier of his piece at the contemporary music concert series »konzertreihe 11.11 neue musik« in Delmenhorst of Hans-Joachim Hespos
- Scholarship of National Scholarship Foundation of Germany (Deutschlandstipendium)
- Recipeient of the DAAD scholarship (DAAD-Stipendium) from University of the Arts Bremen
- His own portrait concert in Seoul, as a contemporary music series by Chang Soo Park
- Voluntary worker by Chantiers Jeunesse France; Montendre, France.
- Unicef Korea, Seoul Youth Philharmonic Orchestra – Concerts in hospitals, Seniors welfare centers,
Benefit concerts for orphans in Africa.